Care for Your Eyes
The Eyes are the windows to your soul and the doorways to your world. Despite the obvious importance of eyesight, many people take their vision for granted. That is, until something happens; whether it is an injury, a deterioration in the ability to see, or a diagnosis of an eye condition such as glaucoma, cataracts, or macular degeneration. One of the best ways to maintain good eyesight is to nourish your eyes with potent antioxidants and other essential nutrients. Whenever you eat the following food, you are helping your vision and your overall health as well.
5 Essential Nutrients for the Eyes:
1) Bilberry – Studies show that bilberries fortify the blood vessel walls and improve the flow of blood to the vessels that keep the eyes healthy and functioning well. Bilberry also helps prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
2) Vitamin C – This Vitamin can help prevent cataracts, delay the onset of macular degeneration, and aid in the treatment of glaucoma. Although orange juice and other citrus are often cited as great sources of Vitamin C, many vegetables are actually better, including sweet peppers, kale, collards, turnip greens, broccoli, watercress, and cabbage.
3) Lutein: Lutein is a caretenoid that body transforms into an antioxidant. Lutein is the main caretenoid found in the center of the retina, called the macula. Therefore it is important to maintain an adequate level of lutein to help preserve the health of the retina. It is found in red, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables, such as tomatoes, carrots, squash, and leafy vegetables.
4) Vitamin A: Yes, your mother was right: Carrots, which are a rich source of Vitamin A, are really good for your eyes.
5) Zinc: Did you know your eyes contain the greatest concentration of zinc in the body? The reason for this is to convert beta-carotene into Vitamin A. Healthy sources of zinc include nuts, beans, and whole grains.
For more topics related to Eye Health and Overall Naturopathic Health Improvement – read my book: “The Wisdom of Well-Being: Your Health is in Your Hands” (available on Amazon Kindle)
-Dr. Diana Joy Ostroff