How I Help People Naturally Whiten Their Teeth at Home
As a Naturopathic Physician, I am always seeking ways to find the cause of a problem and preventing it from perpetuating, and/or preventing the problem in the first place.
In the case of yellowing or discoloration of the teeth, I would seek to understand what is causing the brightness to fade. Some of the most common causes of yellowing teeth are coffee and tea which stain the teeth with tannic acid which gets stuck to plaque and may even cause a brownish stain.
Common Causes of Yellow Teeth and Stained Teeth and How to Avoid Them
Highly pigmented foods such as berries and wine can cause staining, and a diet high in sugar and simple carbohydrates can welcome bacteria and cause discoloration of your teeth. It is important to keep in mind the types of foods you decide to consume when attempting to maintain naturally whiter teeth as the foods we eat not only affect how we feel but also our physical state of health as well.
Tobacco, whether smoked in cigarettes, pipes, vapes or chewed can cause browning of teeth. The browning and yellowing of teeth from smoking is common in long term tobacco users however they can be whitened naturally if done properly.
An often overlooked but fairly common cause of teeth discoloration can stem from certain prescribed medications. Medications such as antibiotics, antihistamines and blood pressure drugs can turn teeth gray or grayish -brown.
Some diseases affecting your tooth enamel can discolor teeth, and the treatment of many diseases like chemotherapy and radiation can cause a browning of teeth.
Natural Causes of Teeth Discoloration. How Your Teeth Turn Yellow or Brown Over Time.
As we age, the enamel of our teeth naturally thins and can allow yellow dentin to show through. We don’t want to prevent aging, however we do want to move through our years consciously. There are a few ways to maintain the natural glimmer of your teeth without using harsh chemicals that may compromise your oral health.
Remember, prevention is the best cure. If you are going to indulge in blueberries, wine, coffee or tea, brush your teeth soon thereafter to prevent stains from building up along the plaque line. Brush, floss, gargle, swoosh and scrape your tongue to prevent build up of bacteria in your mouth.
Use natural, non-toxic medicinal agents and natural antibiotics, prescribed by your favorite naturopathic doctor, (and I hope that is me), instead of running to the pharmacy and MD. Eat a diet rich in plant-based nutrition, devoid of sugar and refined flour, and keep your smile shining on this world that needs to see your light beaming from your heart and soul and through your beautiful loving smile.
Steps to Get Naturally Whiter Teeth at Home
- Remember that prevention is the best cure. Actively cleaning your teeth and maintaining optimal oral hygiene will mitigate many potential teeth discoloration opportunities
- Brush your teeth after consuming foods or drinks that are prone to forming stains. Food and drinks such as wine, coffee, vibrant berries, soy sauce, tomato based sauces, and soda.
- Brush, floss, gargle, and scrape your tongue. This prevents the build up of bacteria that can negatively impact your oral hygiene and natural teeth whitening efforts.
- Implement natural, non-toxic, chemical free, natural antibiotics best prescribed by a licensed naturopathic physician.
- Chose a diet that is rich in plant-based nutrition. Reduce, if not, avoid refined sugars and flour.